4. Leaflets Distributed with TLA

Hardwicke end the wait as they record County League win over Broadwell Amateurs

Gloucester > Sport > Football

Author: Roger Jackson, Posted: Monday, 7th October 2019, 11:50

Ryan Dobbins was on the scoresheet for Gala Wilton Ryan Dobbins was on the scoresheet for Gala Wilton

Hardwicke clinched their first win of the season in the County Football League at the seventh time of asking as they won 2-0 at Broadwell Amateurs.

The visitors had long spells of possession during the game and both Will Higgins and Will Matthews had early chances before they took the lead on 31 minutes through a Paul Carter free-kick from the edge of the box.

They added a second on 52 minutes when Will Higgins hit a low shot past keeper Ben Reed.

There were goals aplenty at Rockleaze Rangers where early season pacesetters Gala Wilton came unstuck 4-3.

Rangers took the lead in the ninth minute following a great run by Nick Jones down the left flank and his cross was steered past keeper Lewis Skyers by Rory Langdon.

Kieran Mace then headed wide for Gala and James Bowers blasted a chance over the bar following Alex Pritchard’s free-kick before Jay Dare saw a shot comfortably saved by Lewis Brodie as Gala hit back.

At the other end Skyers saved a Dan Webb 25-yard effort but on 38 minutes the home side stretched their advantage when a long ball over their defence from Toby Sharpe found Langdon to steer his shot past Skyers.

Within 31 seconds of the second half getting under way Rangers went 3-0 up when the ball was fed out wide right to Harry Madge and his low cross was flicked past Skyers by Dan Webb.

Madge almost got clear again but was brought down on the edge of the box in the 48th minute.

Gala lifted their game and on 64 minutes they scored when Brodie could only parry the ball away and it fell to Ryan Dobbins to fire home. Just four minutes later it was 3-2 when Martin Smith picked the ball up in midfield drove forward and unleashed a shot that flew past Brodie into the bottom corner.

Rangers hit back within two minutes and a good move down the left ended with a good cross into the box which found Harry Madge unmarked and he fired past Skyers to make it 4-2.

Harry Madge then missed a great chance to make it five and on 75 minutes Gala were right back in it when they were awarded a free-kick just inside the Rangers half wide on the left.

It was pumped into the box and Martin Smith hammered the ball past Brodie. Gala pushed hard for the equaliser but left spaces at the back and Rangers failed to take advantage.

Dan Webb, Jake Hannah and Rory Langdon all had great chances to increase Rangers’ lead while Gala had one final chance right at the end of the game but Ryan Dobbins fired over the bar.

The result sees Gala drop to third behind new leaders Wick and Frampton United, who drew 2-2 at Hanham Athletic.

Hanham were not happy on 13 minutes when they gave away a penalty for handball from which Ryan Vincent scored.

However, within a minute they were on level terms when Ben Francis set up Jamie Fry to score from just inside the penalty area.

Frampton retook the lead on 33 minutes when they turned the home defence inside out and Steve Jackson had the easy task to score from close range.

That lead only lasted two minutes as Connor Hartley broke into the United box but was brought down and Sam Brown converted the resultant penalty.

There were no further goals in the second half but the home side finished with 10 men when Luke Corbiere was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Quedgeley Wanderers had to twice come from behind before securing a 3-2 win over Little Stoke.

Ethan Moore gave Stoke the lead on 27 minutes and it took Wanderers 15 minutes to get back on level terms when Harry Burkett set up Josh Wilson to score.

But they were behind again before the break when Blaine Skuse got a second for the visitors. Wanderers had to wait until the 70th minute for their second equaliser and it was a bit fortunate as Reece Hedges put the ball past his own keeper.

And it got much better for the home side with four minutes left on the clock when Jimmy Thomas’ cross was finished off by Nathan Payne.

Sharpness lost their unbeaten record when they went down 2-0 at home to AEK Boco.

Both sides had early chances. Boco’s Jake Slocombe saw an effort well saved while Dan Gayner was denied at the other end.

Boco took the lead on 25 minutes when Jason Thatcher drifted past three defenders before unleashing a shot that flew into the bottom corner.

The visitors then made it 2-0 when Slocombe sent the ball to the far post for Liam Powell to score from close range. Sharpness’ Brad Gibbs struck the upright on 70 minutes and a couple of minutes later Tom Patterson had his free-kick well saved by the Boco keeper.

Tom Freeman also fired an effort over the bar as Sharpness tried to get back into the game.

Other results: Henbury 1 Patchway T 3; Wick 3 Ruardean Hill R 2.

Copyright © 2021 The Local Answer Limited.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The Local Answer Limited and thelocalanswer.co.uk with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

More articles you may be interested in...

The Local Answer. Advertise to more people in Gloucestershire
The Local Answer. More magazines through Gloucestershire doors

© 2021 The Local Answer Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Company No. 06929408
Unit H, Churchill Industrial Estate, Churchill Road, Leckhampton, Cheltenham, GL53 7EG - VAT Registration No. 975613000

Privacy Policy